I am your teenage son or daughter. I have rights in your divorce. I did not plan for your divorce. I planned on having a normal teenage life full of emotional ups and downs. I planned on worrying about acne, geometry and going on my first date.
I need to inform you that I have some basic rights, and I want those rights respected by both of you. These rights include:
- I have the right to be left alone.
- I have the right to ask questions, when I feel the need to ask.
- I have the right to be angry and speak my mind.
- I have the right to be sad, refer back to #1.
- I have the right to be with my friends.
- I have the right to do the things that make me happy.
- I have the right to ask how this divorce is going to affect me.
- I have the right to both parents, and not feel that I have to choose between you.
- I have the right to know that you will act in my best interest.
- I have the right to be happy and find happiness.
Signed on this the ________________ of 20__
From your kid
Having read you request, your parents plan to honor and respect your rights as a teenager in this divorce. We will give you the room that you need to heal during this painful time while providing you guidance just like we always have. We sign this bill of rights understanding that you will look to your parents for continued love and support.